How To Cook Garlic Mussels
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 7 minutes
So, let’s talk mussels! And no – not the biceps that you’ve built during this lockdown, we mean the delicate shellfish that are quite honestly just divine! We’re going to take a look at how to cook garlic mussels.
Mussels are an inexpensive shellfish that are rich in nutrients such as omega-3, protein and zinc.
Best Place To Buy Mussels
There are various locations where you can source mussels. Most large supermarkets tend to have them in the frozen section or the fresh fish counter. Alternatively, you can go to your local fishmonger who no doubt will have lots in plenty of supply.
For this recipe, you can use live or frozen mussels. Either options work well, it just comes down to what is available and what you are comfortable using.
We usually prefer to use live mussels as there is something quite satisfying about watching the shells open up. Given the lockdown there is quite a limited selection of fresh fish available, so we made this recipe using frozen mussels.
If you are purchasing live mussels, please be sure to clean and cook them immediately even if you don’t intend to consume them straight away. Once you have cooked them, you can freeze them and use whenever you are ready. As delicious as shellfish is, it can make you unwell if it’s not handled in the correct way.
Best Way To Cook Mussels
There are so many options and styles to cook mussels these days – tomato, white wine, cream, in a risotto and many more.
Today we are going to make garlic mussels which is a really simple and delicious meal to make. It is one of the easiest meals to prepare and once you have got all your ingredients together, you can quite easily make this meal in under 15 minutes from start to finish.
It’s so versatile and perfect for any occasion – whether you’re having a dinner party and want to whip up a quick starter or are simply craving an indulgent meal, garlic mussels should be your go-to. Let’s not forget to mention that it is absolutely delicious!
If you’re making this meal for a group of people, a comfortable assumption would be 500g per person.
So, here the moment you’ve been waiting for….How To Cook Garlic Mussels?
How To Cook Garlic Mussels
- 500 g Mussels
- 1 tablespoon Minced Garlic
- 1 Handful of Fresh Parsley
- Squeeze Lemon to taste
- 70 ml White Wine
- 2 Shallots
- 3 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 50 g Butter
- Cut the shallots into thin pieces and leave aside.
- Put your pan on medium heat and add some olive oil and butter. Once the oil has heated up, add in the shallots and garlic then cook for about 40 seconds before pouring in the white wine.
- Increase the heat on the pan and bring the mix to a boil and then lower the heat before adding in the mussels.
- Allow the mussels to simmer in the wine and garlic stock for about 4-5 minutes or until the majority of shells have opened up. You will need to keep an eye on this as the cooking time will vary depending on your equipment. You do not want to overcook the mussels as they will shrink down and taste quite rubbery.
- Have one final taste of the garlic stock and add seasoning to taste then finally sprinkle some fresh parsley.
So, there you have it – this is how to cook garlic mussels which you could eat with some bread. We ate it with garlic bread which just further enhanced the flavours of the garlic in the mussels – yum!
How To Cook Garlic Mussels: Have you tried the recipe? Let us know by sharing with us any photos or comments on Instagram, Facebook or Pinterest @simpleyummiesfood
Please also check out our Chorizo and Prawn Risotto recipe!